Saturday, November 14, 2009

I live in Ireland, and i have a coldwater fish tank. Can I take plants from my local river and put them in it

I live in Ireland, and i have a coldwater fish tank. Can I take plants from my local river and put them in it?
In my tank, there is white cloud mountain minnow, a black moor and some tadpoles. I don't have a pump or anything!
Fish - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You probably could but I wouldn't recommend it when plants are quite cheap at any fish store. Also there are tank specific plants. try and get one that is suited to your needs.
2 :
You'll need to get a filter of some type and a moor needs a minimum of a 20 gallon tank to grow properly. I have taken plants from the stream in our backyard and added them to my goldfish tank with success. **
3 :
That's a very dangerous, risky thing to do. You have no way of knowing what fertilizers, pesticides, bacteria, parasites, or other harmful contaminants are in the river, and you risk losing your tank to them by placing the plants in it. You're better off buying safely-grown plants from a fish store. When you say you don't have a "pump," does this mean you have no filter? Your fish need the filtration and oxygenating water flow to survive! I don't recommend keeping goldfish with anything but other goldfish/koi, and they typically benefit from the higher oxygenation made by airstones (which require air pumps).





Read more discussions :

Search News