Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Can I live in Ireland if I get married there

Can I live in Ireland if I get married there?
My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years. We've talked about getting married before. He's currently living in England while I'm in America. He doesn't want to stay in England and since I've always wanted to live in Ireland, he suggested we move there. If we married in Ireland would I be able to be live there legally and would that make me a citizen since he's a EU citizen?
Other - Ireland - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yes, as far as I know. But be aware jobs are few and far between as Ireland is middle of an major economic crisis. I think you would be entitled to what's called an "EU FAM 4" stamp in your passport which basically gives you, as a American, indefinite leave to remain in the State through marriage to an EU national. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/rights_of_residence_in_ireland/registration_of_non_eea_nationals_in_ireland.html Edit: I'm basing that answer on the presumption that your would be hubby is British. If he like you is American then it's a whole different story that most likely doesn't end well.
2 :
The situation is a little complex. A foreign national marrying an Irish person in Ireland does not get automatic rights to Irish nationality.The laws have been changed to discourage "sham" marriages which only took place in order to get a passport for a foreign person. You don't say what his nationality is - you would probably be entitled to whatever nationality he holds and thus be able to live in Ireland as citizens of an EU country but you would not get Irish citizenship. The best way would be to get married in whatever EU country he comes from, get yourself a passport from there and then moving to Ireland should not be a problem. Unless, as I say, he is Irish. Marrying in UK might be a way out of this but you would have to do some more research. Incidentally, have you thought about how you will support yourselves in Ireland - the economic situation there is really bad and there are no jobs for the Irish never mind immigrants.
3 :
No, I'm afraid it wouldn't make you an Irish citizen automatically. But because you would be married, you would be permitted to live here. Maybe.
4 :
That's like me saying, oh I think I'm gonna marry an italian girl that is a citizen of italia and just have me wedding in China and just become a Chinese citizen.





Read more discussions :

Search News